Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Fulbrighter!

I cracked this beauty. I did. And I am going to the University of Pennsylvania, the U.S next year.
It feels great! I remember vividly right from my first year of Ph.D., how I used to just think of applying for this prestigious Fellowship. The Fulbright-Kalam Climate fellowship. I didn't apply ever since.  (honestly telling) I was a little scared. I had heard a lot about it. For example, only those people are selected who have got n no. of publications or who are just par excellence, just brilliant to the power infinity. You know how it feels I am not bad. Not bad dude. (Though I also possess these perks from my Ph.D. research).

I remember the entire process. It was somewhere around Feb-March that I contacted only 8 profs in the U.S. All of them only from Ivy league colleges. Since I had already got selected through Newton-Bhabha Fellowship and had so much to do already, I had planned I won't devote much time to this because it does demand a LOT of time. To my luck, this was my 8th and the last application mail to Prof. Seider, from the University of Pennsylvania that I got a reply from him after 3 days. Obviously, he had some things to clear from me and know about me before giving me the Letter of invitation, thus he asked me to do a Skype. I agreed but I was running short of time since I had to go to U.K for the NB thing. I remember my first Skype with Prof. was on the first day that I arrived in U.K. It was a relatively short Skype (15 minutes) since I was struggling for a good internet connection. Thus, I requested him to give me some time so that we can have a Skype on Friday, the 6th June. I was sky-ping from my Department of chemical and biological engineering at the University of Sheffield from the lounge. It was a good 40 mins Skype and I got to know he like me. Still, he wanted to be surer, he gave me reading materials and again asked me to do Skype. It was around 3-4 times that we skyped together followed by many email exchanges that he assured me to give the Letter. I was happy to receive it. As soon as I got the letter, I applied online, which in itself was a lengthy procedure, A good 14-page application form, along with a lot of attachments, 3 Letter of recommendations, personal statements and what not. Finally, I submitted it. The wait then started. The wait: for the shortlisting for the interviews.

The result was supposed to come somewhere in mid-august but it didn't come. I was waiting continuously. The time was running fast to pack my bags from U.K. It was 2 days until I had to board the flight to India that a mail popped up in the middle of the road when I was running to the bank. Like its usual, I am the 11th-hour person, and I was literally running for some work and took out the phone from my pocket. Still panting, but felt happy to know that I was shortlisted and had to appear for the interview on 23rd September in New Delhi.

I was back in India and to Kharagpur and I had to go back again to Delhi for the interviews. I was preparing way too much since I didn't want to goof up this one that I wanted so dearly. So I arrived on 22nd September to my home in Gurgaon. It's always good to be home. I didn't want to study any further as I wanted to eat, play with Puchu my niece, and talk to di, mummy and papa and everyone. So, it was the night before the D-Day. I stopped everything, all the preparations and suddenly all my fear was gone. In fact, I was not feeling anything as such but feeling very confident. Next morning, I got up and donned a casual wear. Papa accompanied me to the USIEF office in Mandi house. Ater reaching there, changed into formals and waited for my turn while papa waited for me in the USIEF canteen. I was scheduled to be interviewed at 12:45 pm but the girl just before me took much of my time as well and she was back by 1 pm. Too many thoughts again started pouring up in my head. Maybe she gave it too well; maybe the interviewers wanted to talk to her more than why she took this much time etc. etc. Anyways, I stepped inside, gave a brief smile to 12 of them; in a round table seating. As expected. the U.S person started me asking, he was too sweet for the first one. And then there were those 10 minutes. I gave the best interview of my life. I was confident, had the presence of mind and paid attention to all of them. I could see they all were satisfied with my answers. I spoke a lot with a smile, and then it was over. I came out. I saw my wristwatch (that I wore for the first time) it went for just 10 minutes. I had mixed feelings mainly because 1. I knew it went really well, but  2. only for 10 minutes (maybe they couldn't tolerate me more). So I was little skeptical. There were too many thoughts in my mind.

So it was 3-4 days later that I received a phone call from of ice of my department that I have a post (I was still in Delhi that time). Therefore I immediately called Rabiya to go collect it from the office and give it to Arpit. I hadn't told anyone about this whole thing. So it was with Arpit, and he informed me over the phone about it. Selected. 

It's a great feeling to be a Fulbright Scholar. I hope to do good. :)

4 comments:

Aseem Rambani said...

Wow. Congratulations for the achievement. So you'll be coming for an exchange program or a doctoral degree here? Anyways, UPenn is a great place. I'm sure you'll love it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's some achievement and portrayal is truly amazing. Congrats Girl !

Do make most out of your time there!

Regards
Well Wisher :)

Geetanjali Yadav said...

@Aseem : Thanks so much :) Yes, it's an exchange program for 9 months. It will come under my doctoral degree though I would be almost finishing all of my bench work of PhD before coming to UPenn and plan to write my thesis while I am there in U.S. I m too excited for this :) Yo Yo!

Geetanjali Yadav said...

@Well Wisher: Thanks well wisher. Ho kaun aap? Why keep me puzzled :-/
I will try my level best. Thanks again!!

Reflections of 2023